Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 1 - I can do it!


Today is my first day of learning to love running, or at least what it can do for me. I come from a family where most of my cousins are runners. Apparently it's contagious because my sister and a non running cousin were gobbled up and spit back out in those horrid short shorts and numbered racing shirts. While I admire their strength and speed, that is not what I am shooting for with this program. I am instead opting to live a more healthy lifestyle and of course, to lose some weight!

I have never enjoyed running, jogging or walking extremely fast... I am not a fast person. My parents used to joke about tying me to a car and hoping that would help with my base running speed... instead I still resemble the roadrunner with moving legs yet not going anywhere. I don't think I will be a sprinter by the end of this program either, just more fit and able to jog without dying after three miles.

I will be using the couch to 5k program everyone raves about and I already have my podcasts downloaded and ready to roll. It helps that it will be dark out by the time I get home from work, enabling me to hide my inept running from those watching in the nearby condos.

The hardest part is actually getting myself to start. I'm sure once I see how bad it really isn't I'll be fine, but until that time you're going to enjoy the rough ride right along side with me.

Wish me luck, cause here I go!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, I bought a decent pair of running shoes, just to run in. Saucony's, they are cushy, but firm. And only like fitty bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love them fitty buck shoes! you go girl! we can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Linds! So proud of you for starting. Stick with it, be patient, and you will be happy with the progress. – James

    ReplyDelete