Monday, March 12, 2012

40 Days of Honor - Days 10-17

Day 10: Keith


Keith is one of my cousin's and he's a pretty cool dude. Chill, doesn't create drama and is really tall. I dedicate my day 10 post to Keith because I look up to him and respect him both as my cousin, but as a person who has served in the armed forces as a Marine. He put his life on the line to protect my life, the lives of our families and everyone in the US. I can only imagine the strength it take to travel over seas to a foreign land and walk among potential enemies. Keith doesn't let the knocks in life get him down, he's a great guy. He has a gorgeous wife, an adorable daughter, and another baby on the way! Keith, thanks for being my cousin and thanks for just being awesome.

Day 11: Stuart Raleigh


This man is special to me because he scared the shitza out of me my freshman year of college. I auditioned for Baldwin-Wallace's College Choir and remember him asking me to sight read a few lines of some random piece of music. I had warned him before hand that I didn't sight read well. Afterword, I remember his reply of "Well, that was interesting" or something along those lines... the point is, he was dry, droll, (sounded semi-english for some odd reason) and old. But let's not forget fabulous. Stuart was one of the best choral director and pianists I've ever had and I don't know if anyone will live up to him. He called anyone on their shitza if they messed up their parts and he usually made it as embarrassing as possible. You would think that no one would want to be in college choir knowing his reputation, but that's the thing, I just kept coming back for more. He was the reason that I auditioned for my second, third and fourth years even though I had transferred out of the conservatory. I loved it and as a result kinda loved Stuart... in an old man kinda way :) His sweaters were also as awesome as he was. Sadly Stuart is no longer teaching at Baldwin-Wallace, but I know where ever he is, he's rocking it out.

Day 12 - Tony

Ok, so Tony is this guy that I see at the gym everyday. He is working just as hard, if not harder than I am to change the way our bodies operate, look and feel. Tony is usually a happy dude and is always ready to talk about anything and everything. The thing about Tony is, he says that I motivate him to get healthier. I've never been the reason that someone has said to themselves, 'Hey, Lindsay is looking good, you should work out too'. It feels so wonderful when he says "You inspired me". When I'm feeling down and unmotivated because I haven't lost any weight that week, seeing Tony reminds me of how far I've come. I may have a long way to go, but Tony is right there, ready to encourage me to keep going. I honor Tony today for being my new found strength and determination to keep fighting this weight loss battle.

Day 13 - Random Girl at the Olive Garden

It was late last year and I was working a section in the bar for lunch. If you aren't aware, the Olive Garden bar area sections can be make or break... usually there is no in between. I had a table of a mother, father and daughter who had just come in from church. They were a little short with me and from that vibe I figured I wouldn't be getting much tip for my services. Despite feeling a little put off, I complimented the girl on her shoes. They were totally adorable and I wanted to know where she had gotten them. She ended up working for the company she bought them from, wrote down the name and information and told me to get them because they rocked. I was feeling a bit better and was resigned to whatever tip the dad decided to leave. When I walked by right before they left, the girl handed my $30 and told me that she wanted me to get the shoes and thank you for the awesome service. I want to honor that girl, who's name I'll never know, for reminding me that not all people are mean or dishonest.

Day 14 - JC Penny Sales Clerk

I was returning an item to JC Penny on a sunny fall afternoon last year. I remember feeling like it was a decent day because the sun was shining and I was wearing a cute skirt and had done my hair curly that day. The girl at the counter said something that made my day, and still makes me feel awesome to this day. She asked me if I was a model. I called my mom immediately and squealed out what had happened. That was a turning point for me in understanding that I was not some ugly fat girl that I still sometimes see in the mirror. Mom's can tell you that you are beautiful til they are blue in the face, but when a complete stranger says something, it's just different. It's not a pity comment or a way to win favor from someone you know... it's unsolicited and honest. I honor her today for helping me start to understand that everyone sees something different... and that day she helped me see that I can be pretty too.

Day 15 - Karen Prelipp

Karen worked for my Dad as the company accountant among other random duties that fell her way. She bakes awesome goodies that never help with diets but are impossible to resist. She deserves honor for helping me through the reorganization of The Scissor Factory and all the months of closing that hadn't been done before I took on the project. She has put up with many late night calls of me crying because I couldn't get the $.73 cents to balance for June two years prior. She is a patient and kind woman who helped me understand my abhorrence for numbers wasn't just a feeling I felt, but that my mom did too ;) Karen was and still is so helpful to me and my family, so I'm honoring her today. Karen, you rock... and so does your white cake filled with strawberries and topped with whipped vanilla frosting :)

Day 16 - David Bechtel


David Bechtel was one of my bestest friends growing up. We used to pass drawings back and forth in between classes, adding things to each other's paper as the day went on. I remember one such page full of this giant house on a hill... random. He was always the better artist and while I changed paths and picked up my music, David continued on with creating beautiful things on canvas and now film. David is just a funny and caring person and has always followed his hopes and dreams. I honor him because he is a successful photographer and is currently in Paris, Rome and other awesome places taking pictures of beautiful people! If you dream it, you can do it!!

Day 17 - Dawn Meyer

I first met Dawn in my second year of JO Volleyball. My first year had been fun but not so successful and I was determined to have a great season with my two friends Laura and Danielle. Dawn was a young and energetic coach and super fun. I remembered meeting her and immediately feeling better about the team. We had so much fun and I learned a lot from her. She went on to become a coach and teacher at Perkins, where I went to school. I think Dawn was one of the reason's that I remember JO as being the best years of my teenage life. She helped make the sport into something I will have passion for til the day that I die. Thanks Dawn, you are a great coach and motivator!

No comments:

Post a Comment