Wednesday, March 16, 2011

WTF



I am mad at myself. I knew that this past week would be a challenge for me. Travelling to DC and not getting to the gym was going to be a test of my ability to live normally while being exposed to food that I did not cook myself. I felt really good about the decisions I made and they are as follows.

Friday during the seven hour drive I packed cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, fat free ranch dipping sauce, a sandwich thin natural & sugar free PB&J, clementines and apples. I knew that I didn't want to eat poorly, especially while sitting in a car in a non active setting for half the day. When we arrived in town we went to a pub and I had one beer, a glass of water and a veggie burger (whose calorie count was about 675 including the two HUGE pieces of bread of which I ate one).

Saturday was going to be the busy day. We went into the city around 1pm and just walked around letting our feet take us where they may. We saw The White House (the front this time ;) ), a sculpture garden, "Chinatown", An Art History Museum, went to a Wizards game, and then went dancing. Throughout that day I had two special k bars, 2 small whole wheat pancakes, a clementine, four pieces of pizza, one sprite and vodka, and six beers. I thought between the miles of walking and the 1.5 hours of dancing that I would have at least evened out...

Sunday for breakfast I had a special k bar and then when we stopped to grab something for my friend I caved and got a large Arby's curly fry... I think that was the turning point. I had some carrots, another sandwich thin PB&J and some cucumbers the rest of the drive. When I got home I made some Paella, unpacked and did some laundry.

I haven't made it to the gym in a week now and I feel disappointed in myself.



I obviously am not able to skip the gym this long as I gained three back. All my forward motion and positive energy has led to a huge loss in weight but this tiny set back has brought me so close to crying. I realize that I'm exhausted and not really thinking correctly which would also contribute to my gain. The thing is it's not just a three pound gain, it's a five pound gain. I should have lost two pounds this week and instead I brought three back into my life.

I'm changing my calorie intake to reflect a slower lifestyle in hopes that this won't happen again during my weeks when I'm not able to get to the gym everyday. I can't have this happen again or I may lose focus and hope and spiral back into a place I've promised myself I wouldn't go.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you Linds. I was sick and over the course of two weeks I only lost 1 lb each week. And now this week I'm feeling better, but haven't been to the gym, and as a result my eating has been terrible. I haven't weighed yet, but the number can't possibly be good. I know exactly how you feel!!!! I've lost 17 lbs, which should be my focus, but instead I think about the 2-3 lbs that I didn't lose this week and it makes me feel like quitting. Even though my logical side is screaming at me and telling me how silly that is!

    Moral of the story: For spending a fabulous weekend in DC you did FANTASTIC overall, and you should NOT worry that you didn't lose your lbs or that you gained a few. I mean, you didn't eat fast food 24/7 and totally pig out - you still made conscious efforts to make good decisions, and that counts for something. Your body had the weekend off, and now it can get back to normal. Just remind yourself how good it feels - and maybe next week you'll lose even more to make up for it!!

    I love you and miss you!! Keep swimmin'!!

    ReplyDelete