Sunday, February 26, 2012

40 Days of Honor - Day 5 Bach

This day of honor might seem like it's coming from left field, but hear me out.

Today I honor Johann Sebastian Bach. Born March 21, 1685, this man is one of my all time favorite composers. His early life was riddled with the death of all but one of his siblings and mother and father by the time he reached ten years of age. I won't lie, I just wiki-d all that information. You would think that when honoring someone during this journey, I'd be more familiar with their life story... as it might lend some merit to WHY they influenced me.

I won't say he directly influenced me as much as his music does. Continuously! It's absolutely perfect that my two favorite pieces of his relate directly to Lent, Easter and to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. I was first introduced to The St. Matthew Passion and the St. John Passion during my time at Baldwin-Wallace College... (although now it's just Baldwin Wallace College). I associate some of my best memories of my college years with Bach's music and college choir. I find myself, during the spring, longing to get out that blue bound score and sing the notes written on those pages. To hear the glorious twining of the choral voices telling the story of Jesus' death. To sing in the oldest collegiate Bach Festival in the country was one of the best times of my life.



(I'm on the far left of this picture, top row! I was one hot looking alto 2!)

The two Passions are truly some of the most moving music I have ever sang. I weep when we get to the crucifixion as it's already an emotional story, but when told through the musical lines of Bach, I find myself appreciating more the sacrifice that Jesus made for us.

So Bach, I thank you for your gift of music to this world. I appreciate and honor your supreme talent and thank you for the joy it brings to my life.

1 comment:

  1. amen! every single spring i miss bach festival in a very desperate way. i wish i lived close enough that i could go.

    ReplyDelete