Thursday, February 9, 2012

Boxing

Well, I survived! I was so red afterword that I looked like I had ran a mile on a 100degree day with a parka on, but I survived! Those boxing guys may be fit and good at instructing classes, but they're shit as photographers! This picture does nothing for me, but I don't mind as my class was free and I don't look nearly as sweaty as I really was.


We started our free class at Title Boxing Club by getting our hands wrapped, picking out loaner gloves and finding an empty bag near the front of the room. The room is just a large open area filled with hanging bags. I was slightly reminded of the scene from Killer Clowns where all their victims were hanging from the ceiling wrapped in cotton candy. I almost left right then and there.


I stayed, but it was a close thing. I'm glad I did, cause I had a lot of fun and felt extremely good after. Such a better way to work out then being tied to the elliptical or treadmill! I had my gloves on and was ready to start wailing away at the bag when the trainer said, let's run! Whaaaa?? Hello? Just like volleyball, I say, why run? It's not like the bag is going to scamper away every time I swing! So I start to run and then he yells out punch out! So we're running around punching out, then up, then out, then up. Then we shuffle sideways, my knee does something wonky, I look like I'm about to face plant, the trainer tells me to be careful and I decide that I'll sub in a weird cross shuffle instead. So we're side shuffling and doing a 1-2 punch, then we're doing side lunge squat thingies and the 1-2 punch, then we're running, then high knees, running, high knees with punches. It felt like this went on for 10 minutes, but really it was pry only five.

Then came the wall sits. I'm not going to lie, I was really excited, I'm the shit at wall sits. My legs look super hot when doing wall sits, and anything that makes me feel fit is awesome. Then he tells us to punch, fast. I'm not so great at wall sit punching. Nor am I used to switching to putting your weight on your toes and switching back to entire foot while punching. Wow. Wall sits just turned into my worst nightmare.

FINALLY we went over to our bags and got to hit the daylights out of them. A lot of different combos combined with more high knees to get random bursts of cardio to keep our heart rates up. Then we mixed in abdominal work as well, which, surprisingly was easy the first set and much harder the second set.

We finished with abs and then had to clean the bags, spray the gloves and put the smelly wraps into a wash bin. Overall, totally fun and worth it. I'm so glad that I have a pass to take a week of free classes, that will totally change up my routine and make working out that much better!

Also, I had to change my design just for the sake of my mother. She couldn't get her iPad to read the white font... so please enjoy the beach scene. Mom, are you happy now? Hopefully it will instill a frantic urge to start watching what you eat and working out cause beach time is right around the corner!!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun!!! I have yet to try boxing. I'm hoping to get to spinning tomorrow... if my housemate will wake up on time I'll even have someone to go with! =)

    ReplyDelete