Tuesday, February 28, 2012

40 Days of Honor - Day 6 Amanda

I remember Amanda like all grown ups do some of their childhood friends. Warm but slightly fuzzy memories. Who knows, this could totally not have happened, but this is what I remember. I don't even remember her last name either, just her.

Amanda and I were close in 3rd grade. She seemed to come out of the blue. She was cool but not a "cool" kid. We both liked art and we both had brown hair and horrible bangs. For some reason, I remember feeling like we were twins. We played four square and tether ball and competed to see who could get higher on the swing set, I'm pretty sure we tied, cause I would remember if I won or lost ;) Competitive nature and all.

I think it was the last week of school, and one day before we left to get on the bus Amanda turned to me and said it was her last day and that she was moving. I don't think I realized she was serious, because it didn't sink in til the fall that my friend wasn't coming back. I vaguely remember (this is the part that my brain might be making up) her saying that she was a ward of the state, something had happened to her family and she was being put into foster care.

Today I honor Amanda as she taught me that I am truly blessed to have the life and family that I do. I can't imagine the fear, stress and pain that she must have felt having her life changed so quickly. Where ever you are Amanda, whether this event really did happen or not, you've taught me to appreciate everything that I have and that my parents and sister are together, happy and healthy. You were a great friend and maybe we'll meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment